Open jaw flights are round-trip travel itineraries that allow you to land in one city and return from a different one, offering you the chance to visit multiple destinations without the need to backtrack to your initial arrival point.
For example, if you fly from Philadelphia to London, travel by train to Paris, then fly back from Paris to Philadelphia, this is considered an Open Jaw flight.
In this guide, we’ll delve into the exciting world of open jaw flights, discussing their various advantages, types, and reasons to consider them for your next journey.
We’ll also examine the pros and cons of open jaw flights, and provide step-by-step instructions for booking them using Google Flights, Skyscanner, or Momondo.
The Allure of Open Jaw Flights
Choosing open jaw flights for your travels brings numerous benefits:
- Personalized Adventures: Open jaw flights allow you to plan a customized trip that aligns with your unique interests and travel goals, enabling you to explore multiple destinations without adhering to a specific return path. For instance, if you’re a history buff, you could fly from Chicago to London, tour some historical sites, and then make your way to Paris and fly back to Chicago from there.
- Saving Time and Money: By eliminating the need to return to your starting point, open jaw flights can save you both time and money on flights, accommodations, and other travel necessities. For example, you could fly from Philadelphia to Sydney, travel across Australia, and then fly home from Melbourne, saving you the time and expense of returning to Sydney.
- Unique Experiences: Open jaw flights encourage you to venture beyond the typical tourist routes, opening up opportunities for one-of-a-kind travel experiences. Imagine flying from New York to Bangkok, exploring Southeast Asia, and then flying back home from Hanoi, immersing yourself in the diverse cultures of the region.
Exploring Open Jaw Flight Varieties
Open jaw flights come in two main forms:
- Simple Open Jaw: This type of open jaw flight involves landing in one city and departing from another. For instance, you could fly from Philadelphia to Lisbon, travel across Portugal and Spain, and then return to Philadelphia from Barcelona.
- Double Open Jaw: In a double open jaw flight, both the origin and final destinations are different. For example, you could fly from Philadelphia to Rome, journey across Italy and France, and then fly back from Paris to Newark.
Booking Your Open Jaw Flight with Google Flights
Google Flights is a user-friendly tool for researching and booking open jaw (or any multi-city) flights. Here’s a step-by-step guide to finding and booking your ideal multi-city adventure:
Step 1: Visit Google Flights and select “Multi-city” as your trip type. By default, the search will initially display results for round-trip searches. Just click on “Round trip” and a menu will appear, allowing you to select “Multi-city”.
Step 2: Enter your departure and arrival cities and dates, click “Search”, and then Google Flights will display a range of options for your open jaw itinerary.
Step 3: Browse the available flights, considering factors such as layovers, connections, and total travel time. Once you’ve found your ideal itinerary, follow the prompts to complete your booking.
Booking Your Open Jaw Flight with Skyscanner
Skyscanner is another popular flight search engine that allows you to book open-jaw flights. The functionality is a little hidden, but easy once you know where it is.
When you arrive on their homepage just click in the “to” box for the flight search, and you’ll be shown the “Multi-city search” options. You can then select your departure and arrival cities for both legs of the trip.
Booking Your Open Jaw Flight with Momondo
Another flight search engine, Momondo also offers this functionality.
When you arrive on their homepage, above the flight search matrix, click where it says “round trip” and a drop down will appear allowing you to select “multi-city”. Then just fill in your details similar to Google Flights or Skyscanner.
By understanding the intricacies of open jaw flights and leveraging their advantages, you can unlock a world of travel possibilities and design the multi-city adventure of your dreams. Don’t make the mistake of assuming you have to arrive and depart at the same destination — the world is yours to explore!